The Basics of Reducing Radial Head Subluxation (Nursemaid's Elbow)
Mon, 01/16/2017 - 12:49pm
Radial Head Subluxation (Nursemaid's Elbow):
- Age Range: 6 months to 7 years old (usually 2-3 years old)
- Mechanism: Sudden, longitudinal traction on arm with elbow extended
- Annular ligament of radius displaces into radiocapitellar articluation
- Two Reduction Techniques: Supination Technique and Hyperpronation Technique
- Hold childs elbow at 90 degrees with one hand
- Supinate the patient's extremity at the wrist
- Flex the supinated wrist towards the patient's shoulder
- Feel for reduction of radial head with hand on elbow.
- Hold patient's elbow at 90 degrees
- Firmly pronate at wrist until reduction is complete
- Consider investingating for occult fractures if patient does not resume normal use of extremity within 30 minutes after reduction.
1) Hopkins-Mann C, Ogunnaike-Joseph D, Moro-Sutherland D. Chapter 143C. Pediatric Procedures: Nursemaids' Elbow Reduction. In: Tintinalli JE, Stapczynski J, Ma O, Cline DM, Cydulka RK, Meckler GD, T. eds. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide, 7e. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2011. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=348&Sectionid=40....