#EMConf: Cellulitis Pearls
Thu, 10/25/2018 - 7:00am
Misdiagnosis is common as the warmth, redness, pain is nonspecific for inflammation.
Consider necrotizing fasciitis when there is:
- Pain out of proporition to exam (POOP)
- Pain outside of erythematous margins (POEM)
- Sepsis without source (SWOS), worsening vital signs
- Cellulitis not responding to antibiotics
MRSA coverage for purulent cellulitis or immunocompromised.
The return visit failed outpatient treatment for cellulitis when:
- progression of redness after 72h of treatment
- progression of pain after 48h of treatment
- progression of warmth after 48h of treatment
- MSSA coverage mostly - Keflex for example
- continue breastfeeding
- reassure mom regarding no risks to baby