What's the Diagnosis? By Dr. Erica Schramm
A 40 year old female presents with right knee pain after she was struck by a truck’s tailgate. She is unable to bear weight and rests her knee on the stretcher in extension. What's the diagnosis? (scroll down for answer)
Answer: patellar tendon rupture
- This sagittal xray shows the classic finding of “patella alta” or “high riding patella”
- On physical exam, patients often have a palpable defect at the level of injury
- Patients who frequently participate in sports requiring running or repetitive jumping may develop patellar tendinitis (or “jumper’s knee”) which makes them more prone to patellar tendon tears or rupture.
- Tendon rupture requires surgical repair
- Read more on patellar tendon rupture