- A dispute between two parties.
- Burden of proof is based on a "preponderance of evidence".
- Punishment is monetary without threat for incarceration.
- Government or state brings action against an individual/ entity accused of wrongdoing.
- Burdern of proof is "beyond a reasonable doubt".
- Punishment is incarceration or fines.
Negligence - There are 4 elements.
One of the best risk management strategies is clear discharge instructions.
- Estimated that half of lawsuits in EM are related in someway to discharge planning.
Instructions should be time specific and action specific and include what to return to the ER for.
At a recent resident lecture series, the CUH ED residents learn about medical malpractice from Dr. John Cafaro with the help of some faculty experts and the Director of Risk Management, Ms. Eileen Craig. This post will dive into some documentation pearls.
The ResusEM conference is coming back this August! This is a summary of a portion of Dr. Byrne's talk on airway management presented at the August 2017 ResusEM conference at Cooper Medical School of Rowan University. Check out some of the literature looking at the performance of video largyngoscopy versus direct laryngoscopy in various hospital settings.
Ultrasound guidance has undeniably revolutionized IV access and is an incredibly useful skill for the ED physician. The following are by no means a comprehensive guide to the procedure but rather 10 tips for small changes that are often overlooked and can make a huge difference. If you have trained with ultrasound guided IV’s and feel comfortable already with your own style, this may not be as helpful for you. For the medical students, interns, and perhaps "less young attendings" that did not have a vascular probe attached to their hip during residency, read on!