- A dispute between two parties.
- Burden of proof is based on a "preponderance of evidence".
- Punishment is monetary without threat for incarceration.
- Government or state brings action against an individual/ entity accused of wrongdoing.
- Burdern of proof is "beyond a reasonable doubt".
- Punishment is incarceration or fines.
Negligence - There are 4 elements.
One of the best risk management strategies is clear discharge instructions.
- Estimated that half of lawsuits in EM are related in someway to discharge planning.
Instructions should be time specific and action specific and include what to return to the ER for.
At a recent resident lecture series, the CUH ED residents learn about medical malpractice from Dr. John Cafaro with the help of some faculty experts and the Director of Risk Management, Ms. Eileen Craig. This post will dive into some documentation pearls.
The ResusEM conference is coming back this August! This is a summary of a portion of Dr. Byrne's talk on airway management presented at the August 2017 ResusEM conference at Cooper Medical School of Rowan University. Check out some of the literature looking at the performance of video largyngoscopy versus direct laryngoscopy in various hospital settings.